Thursday, May 24, 2012

4. Planning Assessment

I will use two assessments to determine if the students understand the concepts presented.

The first will be by asking them questions that they will answer with electronic clickers. If the majority of my class answers correctly, then I know that my lesson presented the information so they could understand it. If only a few answer correctly, then either my lesson was not engaging enough or I presented the information in too complex of a format. Seeing these as possible explanations, I can create a whole new activity and present it in smaller chunks to ensure my students understand the information.

With the clickers, each student gets a clicker assigned and I will write down their number. Upon reviewing the information, if a particular number didn't answer correctly for the majority of the questions, I will know which student I need to review the information with. The students who understand it, their numbers will reflect this by indicating they sent the correct answer.

The end assessment that I will use is for the students to create their own animal in a habitat of their choosing. They will have to explain what they did to adapt their animal, and why it will help their animal adapt within the habitat. This will show me if they truly understand what an adaptation is, what adaptations there are, and how it helps animals. All of this information would have been present and available within my lesson. If they cannot explain what they did and why, then it shows they do not understand the concepts.

This assessment also links with the standards because the information is necessary for their state testing.

1 comment:

  1. With these four post you have good explanations of the development of the lesson. It is important to think about the process of designing the lesson because it helps us to know where we want to go with our overall curriculum and what we want from the students in a specific instance.

    ReplyDelete