Thursday, May 24, 2012

1. Assessing Prior Knowledge

Ok so when I was thinking of animal adaptations and whether or not it would be feasible for Kindergarteners to sit through the lesson, I realized something. They wouldn't be able to! I was giving way too much information and making them sit for too long. I double checked the standards for Texas and realized that animal adaptations are taught in 4th grade! So I changed my lesson accordingly - I added them taking notes on the topics.

I looked around on google to see how other teachers have taught this. I found worksheets and powerpoints! Free powerpoints on Animal Adaptations!

I saved them in a word doc with the link and a short description of what is contained on the webpage (for future reference).

To assess prior knowledge, I thought that doing a KWL chart would be really great! If you don't know a KWL charts here is a good example!  They are super fantastic for assessing prior knowledge. K is for what the students KNOW, W is for what the students WANT to know, and L is for what the students LEARNED. Depending on grade level you can have the students fill out their own, or you can write it out on the board with them. Typically, you just do the K column and the W column at the start of a lesson or unit. At the end of a lesson or unit, you finish the L part of the chart.

I was hoping to learn what the students already knew about adaptations or even if they were familiar with them. I was also hoping for excitement on the topic of animals.

Knowing what my students already knew (or by the lack of information, what they don't know) I would be able to plan activities that would make sure the students learned the information, aiming to not bore them with information that they have already shown that they know. It would also give me insight into their interests or disinterests. I would aim to keep it information or to make it interesting for them.     

No comments:

Post a Comment